by DeQuilla Henderson & Babajide Jimoh
I get a ton of requests for eats and I’m honored that you all think of me, but quite frankly and respectfully, I just don’t have the time or capacity to send recommendations to all my followers. If you’re looking for recommendations, please tap in with my Eat Here! (EH!) lists.
- looking for hot and new spots
- wanting hidden gems
- celebrating special occasions
- having visitors come into town
- a tourist coming to the DFW
- just want some recommendations
So, I wanted to drop my very own personal list of favorites here in the metroplex.
BO = Black Owned
HG = Hidden Gem
HS = Hot Spot
Enjoy the juicy, crispy chicken that will have you begging for more. These dishes range from savory fried selections to luscious grilled varieties, sating your hunger and making your taste buds dance.
- Gus’s Fried Chicken (this is spicy; love to eat it with their potato salad )
- Henderson’s Fried Chicken (best hood chicken, IMO)
- PLUCKERS (HS)
- Wing Daddy
- I also heavily love with Babes (the smoked chicken is pretty bomb)
- *shameless plug 🔌 Pollo Regio (don’t forget the jalapeño, verde sauce GET EXTRAAAAA! 😇)
These spots serve you fresh and delicious seafood that will take you to a coastal paradise. Indulge in delicate and savory flavors, from delicious shrimp to grilled fish, while nourishing your body with nutrient-dense options.
- Ocean Prime
- Crab Station (Walnut Hill, Arlington, or The Colony: try the chowder and gumbos only at the colony)
- Red Claw
- Aunt Irene’s Kitchen is good too (BO)
- Pappadeaux – IDC IDC
- Urban Seafood Company (a new-ish HG located in Plano; so tasty)
Embark on a culinary journey through the vibrant and aromatic world of Indian cuisine. From fragrant curries to flavorful biryanis and tandoori delights, experience the rich blend of spices and herbs that make Indian food a feast for the senses.
- Lucky Dhaba (best I’ve tasted to date)
Discover a combination of hearty stews like egusi, grilled meats like suya, and delectable fufu and vegetarian dishes. Let the flavors take your taste buds on an exciting journey, showcasing the richness of ingredients and spices.
This list might be a little lengthy. Between Mexican and Italian, I can’t tell you which I love more. So, treat yourself to some sizzling fajitas, street tacos, enchiladas, and fiery salsas are all combination plates you can get in the city. Experience a fiesta of bright and enticing tastes.
- Herreras (HG)
- Gloria’s (HS)
- The Mexican (upscale and perfect for date night; HG + HS)
- Jose (James Beard finalist and new on Lovers; HS)
- The Reserve (that chile relleno with pearl sauce and ground beef got me in a chokehold)
- Mexican Bar Company
- Mexican Sugar
- Mariano’s Hacienda Ranch (HG)
- El Patio Tex Mex
- Wild Salsa
- if you’re willing to drive to FW Cardona is my ultimate favorite in the city; super authentic or as close as it + gets home-cooked vibes).
- *shameless plug 🔌 a good taco lite/enchilada from Taco Casa is a flex any day!
Indulge in succulent and flavorful burgers that range from gourmet masterpieces to classic cheeseburgers. These enormous sandwiches are perfect for a perfect American dinner, satisfying your cravings and leaving you completely fulfilled.
- Rodeo Goat (top tier in the burger game; HS)
- Burger Box (Arlington location slaps hard)
In an era of plant-based foods fall in love with the diverse range of options, from inventive burgers to substantial grain bowls and creative meat substitutes.
- Vegan Vibrationz (that freakin’ crunchwrap got me in a chokehold)
- Slutty Vegan (banana pudding took me by surprise and Fussy Hussy was fire – pricey but delish)
Find delectable pizzas that blend melted cheese, flavorful toppings, and crunchy dough. From the classic Margherita to gourmet concoctions like the hamburger, these pizzas are a genuine treat for all pizza fans.
- Pie Tap (def get an order of meatballs too)
- Fireside Pies (gotta get the roasted red pepper 🫑 ranch, whatever you do)!!!!
- Pangea Shrimp Scampi Flatbread *BRUNCH ONLY* (BO, HS)
- Kenny’s Wood Fired Pizza (I love their roasted red pepper with truffle oil and cheese and the Prosciutto Wrapped Fried Mozzarella)
- Crooked Crust *Denton only*
- Nova (HG)
- Bottled Blonde
- Biggie Pies
Celebrate simplicity and high-quality ingredients, while eating creamy pasta, delicious bread, and decadent sweets.
- Terilli’s for the ultimate win!
- Sister (top tier; HS)
- Carbone Vino (among the gods of Italian; HS)
- Olive Garden idc idc
- Monarch (HS)
- Amore Mio Trattoria
Prepare yourself for a finger-licking feast of succulent, smokey barbeque. Enjoy grilled sausages, tender brisket, and slow-cooked ribs created by top pitmasters.
- Hurtado’s (HS; best tejano style – expect a wait and sold out early)
- Hard Eight
- Hutchins (Mckinney location, best Texan bbq in town – expect a wait: HS)
- Terry Blacks (HS)
- Smokey Joes (BO)
- Pecan Lodge (HS; closes early, expect a long line due to heavily popular tourist spot)
Awaken your taste buds with these strong flavors and aromatic herbs. Try spiced curries, delicious drunken noodles, and ice-cold Thai teas, let these tantalize your taste buds.
- Bangkok City Restaurant (don’t sleep on that Basil Duck)
- Royal Thai
- Sunny Thai (obsessed with the Herb Chicken Fried Rice and Fried Chicken Skin)
- Thai Texas (HG)
Start your day on a nice note with a lovely range of breakfast items at a quaint cafe. Unwind and savor a delectable meal, from fluffy pancakes to buttery croissants and freshly made coffee, in the ideal atmosphere for relaxation.
- Bay 34th Street (HG; BO – pricey but delish)
- Mamas and Daughters
- WAFFLE HOUSE (blueberry waffle for the win)
- Good Day Cafe (HS)
- Jam + Toast
- The Toasted Yolk
- Original Pancake House
Satisfy your carnivorous urges with juicy and perfectly cooked steaks. Indulge in a range of cuts, from exquisitely marbled ribeyes to melt-in-your-mouth filet mignon, for a symphony of flavors in every bite.
- Del Frisco
- Monarch (wood oven-roasted tiger prawns, wood-grilled whole branzino, wood oven-roasted oyster mushrooms, 28 day dry-aged ribeye)
- Nick & Sams
- Eddie V’s
- Wicked Butcher (bone marrow, wicked wedge, corn creme brûlée, bone-in cowboy ribeye)
Start with flavorful roasted duck, delicious dim sum, sushi, and comforting ramen. These restaurants provide an immersive dining experience that will make your chopsticks chop!
- Maki Boy (best ramen; HG)
- Milk Tea/Boba
- Kung Fu Tea
- Tiger Sugar (HS)
- Nikko (literally everything on the menu is so good: HS)
- Highland Noodles (lanzhou hand pull beef noodle soup is out of this world good; HS)
- Bushi Bushi Dim Sum Place (roast duck bone in)
- Sushi Damu
- Shinjuku Station
Best Mac ‘n’ Cheese 🧀
Indulge in the ultimate comfort meal with the creamiest and cheesiest mac ‘n’ cheese concoctions. From traditional recipes to creative spins with bacon, truffle, or lobster, these dishes are a cheese lover’s delight that will leave you craving more.
- The Porch
We have pieces of the bayou in the metroplex, from savory gumbo to soulful jambalaya and scrumptious fried gator. These restaurants embody the coziness and warmth of Southern charm and hospitality offering a rich flavor experience.
- Roots Southern Table (BO; HS)
- Bucky Moonshine (HG)
- Ida Claires (HS)
- Nappy’s Cajun & Creole Cuisine
Savor zesty Greek salads, decadent baklava, juicy shawarma, and fresh fish that provide your palette of diverse tastes. Immerse yourself in tasty and healthy flavors and don’t forget warm pita and hummus.
- Yafa Mediterranean Grill (HG)
- Prince Lebanese
Delight in portable treats ranging from traditional deli selections to gourmet dishes made with artisanal ingredients. These handhelds are ideal for a quick and filling meal on the go, providing the perfect combination of flavors and textures. Grab your favorite bag of chips!
- Central Market (that BYOS is insane)
- Dino’s (HG)
- Dough Boy Donuts (HG, BO; their breakfast sandwich takes the cake)
- S&S Cheesesteaks (bomb af philly)
- Freds Downtown Philly (Plano location)
- Firehouse Subs
- Cheesesteak House (top tier and those sauces)
- Uncle Uber’s (HG)
Coffee Shop ☕️
Escape the stress of daily life and find comfort in the welcoming atmosphere of a coffee shop. Relax, rest, and enjoy a moment of happiness with creamy lattes, rich espressos, or a delicious assortment of pastries.
- The Wild Detectives (HG; serves liquor)
- Inclusion (favorite spot to pull up too)!
- Fount Board & Table (hot teas are unmatched)
- Funny Library (my favorite matcha)
- Society (amazing chai; HG)
- Savor (HG)
- The French Room
Experience a flavorful explosion of street-style tacos, elotes, zingy salsas, and inventive fusion dishes like birria or queso brirria. These handheld will be sure to satisfy your cravings and keep you coming back for more.
- Peppers Street Tacos (HG; best of all)!
- Papaya Mexican Grill (HG)
- Taco La Banqueta Puro PDF
- Velvet Taco (#3.5 with chicken skins)!
- Taqueria la Ventana (shrimp tacos slappin’)
Tell me if you see some of your favorites in the comments. Or drop your favorites below!