- 1 red bell pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO – like my girl, Rachel Ray says)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 jalapenos (with or without the seeds based on your spice preference; for this recipe I took the seeds out of both)
- 1 garlic head (cloves only)
- half a medium-sized yellow onion
- 1 package of grape tomatoes
- 1 package of whole mushrooms; white, portabello
- 16oz heavy whipping cream (HWC)*
- half a stick of butter
- 8oz can of cream of celery soup (CoC)
- 4oz sour cream; optional but adds a rich component to the gravy
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons of Italian seasoning
How to Make:
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Place tomatoes and whole mushrooms in a roasting pan or, my favorite, a cast-iron skillet. I got mine from Target here.
- Do a rough chop on the remaining veggies and add them to your cast iron skillet too!
- Drizzle the top of all your veggies with EVOO and season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Put in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until veggies have started browned a little.
- Empty veggies onto a resting plate and return your cast iron skillet back on the stove on medium heat or 5 if you have a dialed stovetop, like me!
- combine butter and flour in skillet and whisk! Don’t stop ’til you whisk enough *Michael Jackson voice* but seriously whisk for 5-10 minutes or until your roux is golden!
- Slowly pour HWC into roux mix. NOT ALL AT ONCE, we wanna avoid clumping, just slow and easy. *you can substitute the HWC for another milk or milk alternative but it will not be as full and thick*
- Whisk in sour cream fully. This is optional but the sour cream adds a very nice rich, smooth component to the gravy.
- Whisk in CoC fully.
- Add all veggies back into the skillet, stir to combine everything.
- Reduce heat to low and let everything come together for 5-10 minutes.
Serve with rice and protein of your choice. In my video, I made seasoned rice and fried catfish. And y’all!!!! Slaps! If you guys want to know how to make fried fish or seasoned rice or anything else, let me know in the comments!